Finding eco-friendly products is becoming easier and easier, but many people wonder about how organic bath towels rank and which are the best all natural bath towels on the market today?
This review examines some of the best organic bath towels available and also will help you lower your carbon footprint.
Organic fabrics like bamboo are much gentler on skin (not to mention how luxurious they feel!), but they are also often much better for the planet. Organic fabric manufacturing produces up to 66% fewer CO2 emissions than traditional fabric manufacturing.
Here’s the best bath towels that are made with organic materials.
Our Favorite Organic Bath Towels
Best for High Quality and Organic Material: Ettitude Bamboo Waffle Bath Towels
100% certified, extremely soft, and made from 100% organic bamboo.
Best for Affordable Organic Bath Towel: SOL Organics Bath Towels
Inexpensive, 100% eco friendly material.
Best for Durability: Coyuchi Bath Towels
High quality, 100% organic cotton, extremely durable.
Best for Effectiveness: Temescal Organic Bath Towels
The GOTS certified Coyuchi brand also offers Temescal organic towels which are highly absorbent, thick, and fast drying.
Best for Vegan: Delilah Home Bath Towels
GOTS certified, 100% organic cotton, vegan-certified.
Best for Odor Resistance: Cariloha Bath Towels
42% bamboo viscose, 58% Turkish-combed cotton towels that are odor resistant.
Best for Using Recyclable Materials: Boll & Branch Bath Towels
GOTS certified, 100% organic cotton, OEKO-Tex 100 certified with packaging made from 100% recycled paper.
Best for Absorbency: Casaluna Organic Bath Towels
Affordable, highly absorbent, and durable.
Best for Cotton Material: West Elm Bath Towels
GOTS certified, OEKO-Tex 100 certified, 100% organic Turkish/Portuguese cotton.
Best for Bacteria-Resistant: Under The Canopy Bath Towels
GOTS certified, organic cotton, 3 percent Lyocell which inhibits bacteria.
Best for Hair Health: Sunrise Bliss Bath Towels
GOTS certified, organic cotton and highly absorbent.
Organic bath towels are extremely long-lasting, with the cotton fibers retaining their strength over a long period. There are several different types of organic bath towels to choose from, each with its own particular set of benefits:
- Waffle Bath Towels – organic cotton fabric that is highly absorbent
- Twilled Bath Towels – zero harmful chemicals, and highly absorbent
- Terry Apparel Bath Towels – natural bath towels with hardy fibers and zero harmful chemicals.
- Cotton-Bamboo Bath Towels – a mix of organic cotton and bamboo which provides a lightweight towel that is perfect for outdoor use.2
All types of organic towels protect the environment, as well as human health.3, 14
1Ettitude Bamboo Waffle Organic Bath Towels
Best Bath Towels
The best bath towels are those free of harmful dyes and environmentally damaging microfibers. Microfibers (microplastics) are released when traditional cotton bath towels are washed and dried.
For the good of the environment, organic bath towels are made from dye-free, eco-friendly fabric.
2SOL Organics Bath Towels
Natural Bath Towels
When considering purchasing natural bath towels, the following questions should be asked:
- Have the textiles been sourced and manufactured locally?
- Are the textiles grown in a sustainable manner?13
- Have any harmful dyes, pesticides or toxic chemicals been applied to the fabric?
GOTS Organic Towels
GOTS organic certification, or GOTS organic towels, is the best way to ensure the purchase of a truly organic bath towel.1 There are more organic towels sold in the market today some even come in deals like the Bamboo Self-Care Bundle.
4Temescal Organic Bath Towels
Best Eco-Friendly Bath Towels
The best eco-friendly bath towels for 2022 are listed as follows:5
- Best Overall Eco-Friendly Bath Towel: Coyuchi Temescal Organic Bath Towels
These towels are made from 100% organic Turkish cotton. They are also GOTS certified and save up to 640 days of potable water and allow for 61 square feet of pesticide-free land.
- Best Budget Eco-Friendly Bath Towel: Haven Organic Cotton Bath Towels
These towels are luxurious, but affordable and are GOTS and OEKO-TEX 100 certified.
- Best Quick-Dry Eco-Friendly Bath Towel: Soft Rib Eco-Friendly Bath Towels from Parachute.
These towels may not be made from organic cotton, but they’re toxin-free and quick-drying. They also come in packaging that is recyclable.
The company is certified as being climate neutral, which means all its CO2 emissions are offset.
- Best Absorbent Eco-Friendly Bath Towel: Boll & Branch Organic Bath Towels
These towels come in extra-thick options and are extremely absorbent. The company uses only organic cotton and is a Fair Trade partner.
In addition to this, Boll & Branch saves CO2 emissions that are equal to the emissions of 4,500 cars every year, by choosing to ship by boat and not plane.
- Best Turkish Eco-Friendly Bath Towel: Serena & Lily Fouta Organic Bath Towels
These towels are both beautiful and practical. Made with 100% long-staple Turkish cotton, they are also OEKO-Tex 100 certified.
- Best Organic Cotton Eco-Friendly Bath Towel: Pact Waffle Organic Bath Towels
Made with 100% organic cotton, these towels are lightweight and quick-drying. The company is a Fair Trade partner.
5Delilah Home Organic Bath Towels
Affordable Eco-Friendly Towels
From the above list of organic bath towels, the following brands offer the most affordable eco-friendly natural products in towels:
- Under The Canopy – from $18
- Coyuchi – from $48
- Delilah Home – from $90 (for two-piece towel sets)
- Sunrise Bliss – from $28
- SOL Organics – from $180 (for eight-piece towel sets)
- Boll & Branch – from $484
7Boll & Branch Organic Bath Towels
8Casaluna Bath Towels
9West Elm Organic Bath Towels
10Under The Canopy Organic Bath Towels
11Sunrise Bliss Organic Towels
Eco-Friendly Beach Towels
Eco-friendly beach towels are everywhere. The below list details some of the best options.6
|Brand of Eco-Friendly Beach Towels||Eco-Friendly Materials|
|Affina Organic Cotton Beach Towels||100% organic cotton, toxin-free dyes|
|Anaskela Eco-Friendly Beach Towels||Recycled plastic bottles|
|QuiQuattro Organic Cotton Beach Towels||100% organic Turkish cotton|
|Coyuchi Organic Cotton Beach Towels||100% Turkish cotton|
|West Elm Organic Cotton Beach Towels||100% organic cotton|
|Weezie Organic Beach Towels||100% organic cotton|
|Pottery Barn Organic Beach Towels||100% organic cotton|
|Finisterre Organic Beach Towels||100% organic cotton|
|Delilah Home Organic Beach Towels||100% organic Turkish cotton|
|Minna Organic Beach Towels||100% organic cotton, toxin-free|
|Hilana Organic Beach Towels||100% upcycled Turkish cotton|
Organic Bath Towels
There are several good reasons to choose organic bath towels over conventional towels:
Organic Cotton Bath Towels
When it comes to organic cotton bath towels, the following facts prove that choosing organic cotton is always the best.7
These are the most common comparisons.
100% Organic Cotton Bath Towels
When choosing 100% organic cotton bath towels, the following factors are essential:15
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certification. This means that the towels are made from plants that have met strict requirements as laid out by IFOAM (International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements).
- Oeko-Tex 100 certification. This means that the towels are made without harmful dyes that poison the environment.
- Fair Trade certification. This means that the towels are made according to fair trade deals and standards, which helps workers get compensated fairly and treated humanely.8
The best 100% organic bath towels are:
- Organic cotton bath towels
- Organic Turkish cotton bath towels
- Organic linen bath towels
- Cotton-linen blend bath towels
Organic Linen Towels
Organic linen towels are made from linen sourced from linseed (flax), which is a renewable resource.
In Europe, linen fabrics are considered to be even more eco-friendly because they are exclusively irrigated by rainfall.
Organic Undyed Towels
Organic undyed towels are unbleached and become more absorbent the more they are used.16 Organic undyed towels can be prepared for use by following a handful of steps:
- Soak the towels up to four times before use, to increase absorbency.
- Soak them in cold water for a full day, before washing.
- These towels must be completely soaked in the water to reach full absorbency potential.
- After the first use, the towels should be soaked again before washing.
- It is essential to never use bleach or fabric softener during a washing cycle, and air drying is the best option for this type of fabric.9
Organic Bath Towels Made in USA
There are different types of organic bath towels made in USA. These include:
- Cleaner Cotton Towels by California Cloth Foundry
- Organic-Linen, Hemp, and Cotton Towels by Rawganique
Organic Bath Towels
Most organic bath towel ranges include organic baby towels. Organic cotton towels are the best options for babies’ skin because they won’t irritate it.
Baby towels should have:
- High absorbency
- Anti-bacterial and non-toxic qualities
- Excellent drying rate
- A soft feel (Japanese organic cotton is often touted as being the best option)
- A sufficient GSM
Organic Cotton Baby Towel With Hood
When choosing an organic cotton baby towel with hood, the following options are very popular:17
- Natemia Organic Cotton Baby Towel With Hood: The company also offers robes and blankets, which are all made in Turkey, using GOTS-certified cotton.
- Weezie Organic Cotton Baby Towel With Hood: These 100% cotton baby towels are made from organic cotton in Portugal and Atlanta. They are OEKO-Tex 100 certified and can be monogrammed.
- Zestt Organics Cotton Baby Towel With Hood: This towel is more of a poncho meant for toddlers and older children. They are made from 100% organic cotton in India and can be used for bathing or swimming purposes. These ponchos are GOTS-certified.
- Honest Organic Cotton Baby Towel With Hood: These soft baby towels are made from 100% organic cotton that is COTS certified. They contain zero harmful dyes or pesticides and are a popular option for babies with sensitive skin.
- HART+LAND Organic Cotton Baby Towel With Hood: These towels come in a variety of sizes that are perfect for babies and children up to six years. They are GOTS certified as well as OEKO-Tex 100 certified, and free of toxins such as formaldehyde.
- Coyuchi Organic Cotton Baby Towel With Hood: Coyuchi’s baby towel range is manufactured in India and is one of the most popular brands in the world. The towels are Fair Trade, Made Safe and GOTS certified and are meant for babies between 0 and 24 months.11
Best Organic Baby Towels
The best organic baby towels are ranked as follows:
- Best Overall Organic Baby Towel: Luvable Friends Unisex
- Best Monogrammed Organic Baby Towel: Pottery Barn Gingham
- Best Classic Organic Baby Towel: Parachute
- Best Organic Baby Towel: Burt’s Bees
- Best Hooded Organic Baby Towel: Posh Peanut
- Best for a Budget Organic Baby Towel: Carter’s Organic Towels
- Best for Bath Time Organic Baby Towel: Puj Hug Baby
- Best for Beach Time Organic Baby Towel: Pouf Terry
- Best Bamboo Organic Baby Towel: Kea Babies12
Aside from buying organic baby towels to help reduce your carbon footprint, availing of the Baby Environment Hero: Carbon Offset is another way.
Organic Bamboo Baby Towel
While there isn’t much of a difference between an organic cotton and an organic bamboo baby towel, some prefer the bamboo version because they are softer to the touch.18
However, it must be noted that while they are more absorbent than organic cotton towels, a bamboo towel tends to release some of the absorbed water, which can make it become slippery.
Furthermore, bamboo towels hold water longer and take a long time to dry, which makes it difficult to keep bacteria and viruses away.
An organic bamboo baby towel may also shrink during a wash cycle, and it has been noted that they are not necessarily highly eco-friendly either.
Some bamboo manufacturing processes rely on chemicals, which is not environmentally friendly.
When choosing an organic bamboo baby towel, is essential to look out for the following:
- A mix of bamboo and lyocell
- Zero twist functionality
- Forest Stewardship Council Certification
- Fair Trade, GOTS, and OEKO-Tex 100 certification.
Whether choosing an organic bamboo baby towel or organic bath towels, it is essential to keep all certifications in mind, as this will aid in making the correct choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Organic Bath Towels
What Are Organic Bath Towels?
Organic bath towels are generally GOTS certified, which means that the fabrics used must be at least 70% organic. Furthermore, organic bath towels are pesticide, GMO, and toxin-free.
What Are the Characteristics of the Best Organic Bath Towels?
The best organic bath towels have the following characteristics:
- 100% natural materials and 100% chemical-free
- Highly absorbent, soft, and lightweight
- Organic cotton, Viscose (Bamboo), and 100% organic hemp or linen
- High quality
- A variety of colors and sizes
What Are Eco Friendly Bath Towels?
Eco-friendly bath towels are an essential bathroom product, and they assist in protecting the environment as well. While the textile industry is responsible for 10% of global GHG emissions, the organic textile industry has lowered its emissions by up to 66%.
What Are Organic Bath Sheets?
Organic bath sheets are much larger than regular organic bath towels. For this reason, it is important to take note of the weight when choosing a bath sheet, as heavier sheets take longer to dry.
In the same way as organic bath towels, the best organic bath sheets are made from 100% organic material and are suitably certified.
What Are Organic Towels Costco?
Costco offers a large range of organic towels, including 100% organic bath towels and GOTS certified 100% Turkish cotton bath towels.
What Are Casaluna Bath Towels Target?
Casaluna bath towels are part of the variety of organic bath towels found at Target. Target offers Slub Accent, Waffle Bath, Organic Bath and more types of organic bath towels.
What Are the Organic Bath Towels Target?
Target offers many branded organic bath towels, including the Organic Bath Towel by Casaluna, the KeaBabies Hooded Towel, the Slub Cotton Bath Towel, and the Touched By Nature Baby Unixex towel.
In addition to this, Target also has Honest Baby organic towels and Burt’s Bees organic towels available.
What To Consider in Buying Organic Bath Towels Baby?
When choosing an organic bath towel for a baby, the following components must be considered:
- The towel should be made from either 100% cotton or 100% bamboo
- The towel should be large enough, but not too large.
- A heavier towel is more comfortable and absorbent.
What Are Honest Baby Towels?
Honest Baby Clothing offers an entire range of Honest baby towels. This includes 100% organic hooded towels and 100% organic towel sets and washcloths.
What Is an Organic Cotton Bath Towel Set?
Organic cotton bath towel sets should share the same characteristics such as GOTS certification, OEKO-Tex 100 certification, and/or Fair Trade certification.
Read More About Organic Bath Towels
10 Ethical & Sustainable Clothing Brands You’ve Never Heard of in 2023
11 Best Hemp Clothing Brands & Companies That Passed Our Review
11 Best Recycled, Sustainable Backpacks of 2023
12 Sustainable Swimwear Brands That Are Actually Fashionable (Ethical, Eco-Friendly)
12 Top Biodegradable Soaps of 2023 That Are Eco-Friendly (Using The 200 Feet Rule)
13 Eco Friendly Gifts For Her Made Just For The Female Environmentalist
17 Best Natural Shampoo and Conditioner That Is Actually Affordable in 2023
2023 Ethical Underwear & Sustainable Bras & Lingerie (Fully Organic)
2023 Guide to Ethical Baby Clothes: 5 Sustainable Baby Clothing Brands
2023 Organic Burial Pods: Full Guide (Costs, Laws, Tree Burial, & More)
2023 Sustainable Jewellery Guide: 7 Ethical Jewelry Brands Reviewed In-Depth
2023 Zero Waste Essentials that Also Reverse Pollution and Erase Carbon Emissions
4 Eco-Friendly Furniture Steals: Sustainable & Organic Options in 2023
5 Best Eco-Friendly Water Containers of 2023 (Carbon Neutral Water Bottle)
5 Biodegradable Caskets & Coffins vs 3 Biodegradable Urns (2023 Costs)
5 Compostable Trash Bags And When They Don’t Actually Biodegrade
5 Top Sustainable Shoes Made Eco-Friendly in 2023 (Fair Trade Verified)
5 Vegan Tote Bags You Might Not Believe Isn’t Real Leather
6 Slow Fashion Brands Taking Over (Affordable Non-Fast Fashion)
7 Eco Friendly Wedding Gifts With Unique Environmental Impact (Trees & Wildlife)
7 Gifts For Environmentalists That Actually Heal The Planet & Save Wildlife!
7 Organic Mattresses That Rival Avocado Green In 2023 (Natural & 100% Organic)
8 Sustainable Dresses & Eco-friendly Dresses (2023 Fashion Guide)
8 Top Ebike Conversion Kits (Mid Drive vs. Rear Hub vs. Front Wheel) – 2023
9 Organic Mattress Toppers Reviewed & Ranked (Wool, Crib, Memory Foam & More)
Become a Tree After Death: Tree Burial & Tree Funeral Guide (Costs, Laws)
Best Electric Bike Kit With Battery in 2023 (Full Table Comparison)
Biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrush: Greenwashing or Eco-friendly?
Biodegradable Dental Floss Sets New Eco Trend of 2023
Biodegradable Urns Tree & Cremation Tree Pods: How They Actually Work
Capsule Wardrobe: Ultimate Guide to Build Your Capsule Closet in 2023 (Examples)
5 Green Funeral & Eco Friendly Burials: Full Guide (2023 Costs)
Eco-Friendly Gifts for Environmentalists (That Also Heal the Planet and Save Animals)
Cocoon Tree Pod Burial Cost and How To Lower the Price
Cremation Tree Pod: How It Actually Works, Funeral Info, Locations, Costs
Hemp Clothing Wholesale: Low Order Quantities and Bulk Manufacturing (Order Now)
Is Bamboo Toilet Paper Actually Eco-Friendly? 3 Truly Organic Toilet Paper Brands
Minimalist Wardrobe In 15 Items Or Less: 2021 Checklist (Essentials, Travel, Work)
Mist for Plants: The 1 Step 95% of People Forget When Misting Indoors
Organic Bamboo Washcloths that Plant Trees While You Wash
Planting a Tree for Someone Who Has Died: Memorial Trees Guide
Self-Watering Planters That Use 1 Secret Irrigation Method Rarely Understood
The 13 Best Eco-friendly Yoga Mats That Are Actually Comfortable (2023)
The 7 Best Solar Generators and Why They Don’t Lower Carbon Emissions Without Offsets
The Canvas Grocery Bag That Saves Animals (Reviewing Top 8 Reusable Shopping Bags)
1Matthews, L. (2022). The 8 Best Organic Towels [And Why it Matters]. LeafScore. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.leafscore.com/eco-friendly-bath-products/best-eco-friendly-towels/>
2The Spruce. (2021, April 26). Casaluna Organic Bath Towel Review: Soft and Durable. The Spruce. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.thespruce.com/casaluna-organic-bath-towel-review-5179325>
3Nature Soft Bedding. (2021, April 6). Benefits of Organic Towels for a Healthy Skin. Naturesoft Bedding. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.naturesoftbedding.com/benefits-of-organic-towels-for-a-healthy-skin/>
4Costello, N. K. (2022, May 21). 10 Organic and Sustainable Bath Towels for an Eco-Friendly Bathroom — Sustainably Chic. Sustainably Chic. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.sustainably-chic.com/blog/7-organic-and-sustainable-bath-towels-for-an-eco-friendly-bathroom>
5Dyson, S. (2022). The 6 Best Bath Towels of 2022. Treehugger. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.treehugger.com/best-eco-friendly-bath-towels-5089719>
6Costello, N. K. (2022, May 4). 12 Sustainable Beach Towels for Eco-Friendly Fun Under the Sun — Sustainably Chic. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.sustainably-chic.com/blog/eco-friendly-beach-towels>
7The Best Organic Lifestyle. (2021, August 11). Why Choose Organic Cotton Bath Towels? The Best Organic Lifestyle. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://thebestorganiclifestyle.com/why-choose-organic-cotton-bath-towels/>
8SCHRAMM, J. (2022). Best Organic Bath Towels: What to Look for in Eco-Friendly Towels. Parachute. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.parachutehome.com/blog/best-organic-cotton-bath-towels >
9Ellei Home. (2022). CARING FOR YOUR ORGANIC COTTON TOWELS – Ellei Home. Ellei Home. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.elleihome.com/pages/caring-for-your-organic-cotton-towels>
10Mizu Towel. (2019, October 21). How to select the right baby towel for your toddler online? Mizu Towel. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.mizutowel.com/blogs/articles/how-to-select-the-right-baby-towel-online-for-your-toddler>
11The Filtery. (2022). The Best Non-Toxic & Organic Hooded Baby & Toddler Towels. The Filtery. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.thefiltery.com/best-organic-baby-towels-washcloths/>
12VeryWell Family. (2022, October 14). The 16 Best Baby Towels of 2022. Verywell Family. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.verywellfamily.com/best-baby-towels-6674382>
13GOV.UK. (2022). Organic cotton can help small farmers in Africa. GOV.UK. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/57a08c43ed915d3cfd001294/id21Agriculture_3.pdf>
14Hustvedt, G. (2009, February). Consumer likelihood of purchasing organic cotton apparel: Influence of attitudes and self-identify. J Fash Marketing Manage. Federal Trade Commission. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/public_events/975753/hustvedt_et_al_on_consumer_likelihood_2009.pdf>
15Federal Traded Commission. (2022). Clothing and Textiles. Federal Trade Commission. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/industry/clothing-and-textiles>
16US Department of Agriculture. (2022, July 28). Organic 101: Allowed and Prohibited Substances. USDA. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2020/10/27/organic-101-allowed-and-prohibited-substances>
17USDA Agricultural Marketing Service. (2022). Organic Textiles. Agricultural Marketing Service. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/organic-textiles>
18Federal Trade Commission. (2022). ‘Bamboo’ Fabrics. FTC Consumer Advice. Retrieved December 1, 2022, from <https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/bamboo-fabrics>