Everyone knows what trash is, but how much do you know about recycling?
Take this quiz to find out!
Question 1) How much garbage can one person make in a day?
- The average person tosses out 4 pounds of trash every day. Multiply that by 7 billion (how many people there are), and that’s a lot of trash!1
Question 2) What is recycling?
- Recycling is one of the best ways to reduce the amount of trash you throw away. You can recycle plastic, glass, paper, metal, and more! When you recycle, the materials get reused to make another product, whether that be a notebook, napkins, or water bottles.2
Question 3) What percent of our trash can be recycled?
- Remember how much trash we throw away? Well, 75% of that trash could be recycled instead! That could mean a lot of trash saved from going to the landfill and dumps.1
- Plastic takes a really long time to break down and dissolve, almost forever! But 8 million tons of it ends up in our oceans every year, where fish and turtles can mistake it for food and swallow it, or accidentally get stuck in it. But you can prevent that by using less plastic, and recycling the plastic that you do use!1
Question 7) How many times can we recycle a cardboard box?
- Recycling doesn’t always only happen once. Actually, materials can often be recycled lots of times, so that they have lives as many different items. A cardboard box can be recycled 7 times before it has to be thrown away or added to compost!3
Question 8) What type of useful metals can we find in recycled electronic waste?
- Metal is a nonrenewable natural resource, meaning that earth makes it naturally, but only has a certain amount of metal that we will use up completely if we’re not careful. But, you can recycle metal! Lots of useful metal, like gold, silver, or copper, can be found in electronics. So instead of throwing away a broken electronic, take it to a recycling center instead!4
Take Another Quiz:
Deforestation Facts and Figures: Test Your Knowledge with This Quiz!
Kid’s Tree Facts: Test Your Knowledge About Trees
Kid’s Science Quiz: Garbage and Recycling Facts
Kids Carbon Footprint Quizzes: Learn About Climate Change the Fun Way!
Kids Quiz: What Is Deforestation?
Kids Science Quiz: How Much Do You Know About Global Warming?
1The World Counts. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/recycle-facts-for-kids
2Recycling facts quiz. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.nestlepurelife.com/recycling-facts-quiz
316 Fun Recycling Facts for Kids – Communities for Recycling. (2021, February 19). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://recyclingpartnership.org/communitiesforrecycling/16-fun-recycling-facts-for-kids/
4Vidyadhar Ari, C. (2016, June 29). A Review of Technology of Metal Recovery from Electronic Waste. Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/49287
5U.S. Life Expectancy 1950-2021. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/life-expectancy
6How to Make Money Recycling | LoadUp. (2021, July 29). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://goloadup.com/make-money-recycling/