Think you know your trees?
Test your knowledge with this kid’s tree quiz!
Question 1) I produce acorns that squirrels love to eat. What type of tree am I?
- A Sequoia (pronounced “Suh-coy-uh”) is sometimes called a Giant Redwood because of its red bark. These trees usually grow in California, USA, and are big enough to have tunnels that people can walk or drive through!1
Question 4) Where can you find the oldest living tree?
- That bristlecone pine resides in the White Mountains of California, alongside other ancient trees. The second oldest tree is also in California, a bristlecone pine that’s 4,845 years old!2
Question 5) What do you call a tree that doesn’t lose its leaves in the fall?
- An evergreen tree is the counterpart to a deciduous tree… unlike deciduous trees that lose their leaves in the fall, evergreen trees stay green all year long, and usually have needle-type leaves, like in pine trees, firs, and spruces.4
Question 6) Which season does the tree’s leaves turn from green to red, orange, or yellow?
- In the fall, deciduous trees’ leaves dry up, turning red, orange, and yellow, and fall off… hence the name of the season!
Question 7) What type of gas do trees and other plants produce that is helpful to humans?
- Scientists estimate that there are about 3.04 trillion trees in the world, which means there are about 422 trees for every person.8 Theoretically, everyone could have their own personal forest!
Question 10) I am a type of tree that can grow in salty water, you can find me along rivers and shores. What tree am I?
1Trees For Kids Quiz | 10 Questions. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz3732092ab92c0.html
2(2016, August 23). What Is the Oldest Tree in the World? Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.livescience.com/29152-oldest-tree-in-world.html
3Pyramids of Giza | National Geographic. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/giza-pyramids
4Evergreen Trees | Fast Growing Evergreen Trees. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.plantingtree.com/collections/evergreen-trees
5The Earth Has Lungs. Watch Them Breathe. (2016, March 9). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/the-earth-has-lungs-watch-them-breathe
6Villazon, L. (2021, July 2). Why does bamboo grow so fast? Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/speed-bamboo-plant-grow/
7(2020, April 8). Average weight and growth chart for babies, toddlers, and beyond | BabyCenter. Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.babycenter.com/baby/baby-development/average-weight-and-growth-chart-for-babies-toddlers-and-beyo_10357633
8How many trees are in the world? (2021 New data). (2020, November 18). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.gotreequotes.com/how-many-trees-in-world/
9Birch, A. (2020, May 4). Why Are Florida’s Mangroves Important? Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/where-we-work/united-states/florida/stories-in-florida/why-mangroves-important/